Fried Ice Cream IS a Reality
1. Listening to "Lunchmeataphobia" off One Nation Under a Groove
on my iPod while doing late-night grocery shopping: why, exactly, is George Clinton so upset about the existence of fried ice cream? Think about all the nasty stuff he'd sung about before now: peeing on and being peed on; a woman so funky that her very odor makes the air complain; selling one's soul to the devil; the ritual murder of gold-laying geese...and he's worried about fried ice cream? (Actually, "the fear of being eaten by a sandwich" kind of sums up all of P.Funk past and present. Not sure how though. A koan for me today.)
2. Dammit, but Maroon 5 rocks harder than you ever thought they could on the new live album. That's just unfair.
3. This year I believe I will have exactly almost no English language albums on my album list. It will be just about all Mexico, Brazil, India, and maybe some Africa. Oh and country, which somehow doesn't count, and hip-hop maybe. And jazz. Super Furry Animals I liked too, and Jaguar Wright. Oh snap that's 58 records already.
4. Finally hearing the latest reissue of "Odessey and Oracle". Wow.
5. My son asked me a few weeks ago if I was the best music critic in the world. I said I was twelfth or thirteenth. Tonight, he says "Dad, maybe you're only like the ninety-eighth best critic." He's a nice kid, but damn. Screw that, I'm 13th by my count.